Tuesday, June 7, 2011

How Many Storefronts is Enough

Remember that Old saying that many of us see, hear, and repeat to others too. "Don't Put Your Eggs All in 1 Basket"

Hmm....With that thought in mind How Many Storefronts Do You Really Need? Many times we ask this question, it often comes to mind for many of us, and we ask ourselves...Do I need another store? Do I have enough? Will I make more sales if I have another store? How many stores is enough. Will it benefit me? Many questions asked with very good reasons too. 

The thought behind the idea is the more stores you have, the more visitors, more traffic, and all that you will attract. There is no right, or wrong answer for me to offer. You need to find what works for you, and what you are more comfortable with. I am not able to give a single answer to this that will cover all sellers. Many mixed feelings, and ideas about it. Some sellers find that having everything under 1 roof works for them while other sellers feel they can do better if they separate things into different stores. 

First, ask yourself if you should have 1 store per type of product you will be selling, or do you want 1 store with maybe multiple categories. Something to consider depends on the product you are selling. It may not all be for the same customers you serve. Example I will use is selling electronics, and clothing within the same store. Will it work? Is it appealing to you? Try to maybe see it through the eyes of a customer too.

Then, if you have everything into 1 store it might be helpful because you would have more listings, you would have more people coming to check things out, it could bring you more traffic, customer would not have to chase around with stores, and etc. Doing this could make a bit more work with categories to cover everything for products you have to offer, and to help assist customers when they enter store to visit, browse, and shop. My thought was like a catalog you would browse, and shop with. Also, Simplicity. If we can keep things closer together in 1 place then how much easier is that not only for us, but also for the customers too.

So, IF you did split things up into separate stores, how much should you have in each one of them? I have seen, and read it many times. You should have at least 100+ items per store to get descent traffic to stores, and to assist with placements in google searches. I am thinking SEO too. Actually it would help you with any search engine. 

If you have separate stores should you have all stores located with multiple market places. Should you have them spread out with different locations. Consider fees, and time spent doing all of this too. It would really depend on the type of product you are offering, and if it would really be necessary to do this. Ask yourself if is would be beneficial to you.

I do apologize again about not giving you a right, or wrong answer to this. I have seen many people find, and experiment with many things till they find works for them. I see numerous sellers having 1, 3, 5, 10, 12 shops and more too. They have found this works for them. I'm thinking WHEW! I've had 5-6 shops, and did not really like it. Helps to not duplicate things for sale in your stores, but it was very time consuming going from store to store, maintain this store, need this done at that store, and then hold up on doing things because You have to get this order ready for shipment from another store, etc. This item sold, now which store did I have that listed in. Did I duplicate it, and if so, better get it out of the other store as soon as possible so I do not have a double sale happen to me.

I have 3 stores now, and debate if I should still have 3, and maybe 2. I am testing the 3rd store right now, and see if it is one to keep, or if I should use just 2 instead. For me, I will need at least 2 stores because not everything I sell can be considered vintage. Some of it is collectible pieces not old enough to be considered vintage, and therefore cannot be listed with 1 of my stores. So, 2 stores for sure would come into play for me. Some people are at a venue where they can house everything under 1 store. Hey, I did it with Ebay many moons ago, and I did great with it there! Like everything else, time happens to us, and we feel the need to move on.

Well, I hope this little topic is enough to have you think about what you are doing with your store/stores, and if you feel it is the right path for you to be taking. I wish you all well, and the best of luck with all your decisions, and sales of course too!:) Always Welcome to visit PassnItOn, leave comments, and share with us your experiences too. Thanks again everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment